[jbosstools-dev] Make the "How To Build" page a favorite in your browser

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 09:32:53 EDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 03:19 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> I still think there are way too many options exposed and explained by default. mvn clean install plus a profile should be enough
Can you please give details on your expectation regarding this on this
ticket: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11404 ?

> - I thought we handled so -Dlocal.file is not required everytime now ?
In most cases, when people put the local site at the expected location,
it is not required. However, if people have several sites managed in
another folder, they need to set the local.site value.

> It's like there are 2-3 of every choice instead of just explaining the most common and best way to use for development.
The fact is that (as explained in
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11404 ), we are not very sure of
the "best way to use for development". We'd like more inputs from users
of the build to understand which one of these configuration they want to
have by default.

> Why do i need Ant as a prerequisite ? Isn't this only to do the target-platform stuff ?
True, I changed it to move reference to Anti in the target-platform part.
> If the parent and target platform is not needed to build  - then remove it from the page.
Ok. I changed that to (Optional) and changed the introduction since some
developers may need this information if they actually work on parent or TP.

> If JBoss Nexus is  a requirement now then it seem to be missing instructions on adding the snapshot repo to ones ~/.m2/settings.xml ?
The Nexus repo is added to the top-level pom.xml for each component, so
it works without additional effort.

> Can't we remove all those -U -b -fae etc. flags by just listing those once ? And some of these look to be purely hudson/jenkins relevant (i.e. -b)
> And why do we need to run with -U all the time ? slows things down for a build and you don't have to check snapshots *constantly* as a developer.
Done.

Thanks for your feedback!
--
Mickael Istria