[jbosstools-dev] Make the "How To Build" page a favorite in your browser

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 09:19:24 EDT 2012

> I have worked on a tentative improvement of the "How To Build" page for JBoss Tools. You can see the result here: https://community.jboss.org/wiki/HowToBuildJBossToolsWithMaven3
> You should make it a favorite since people ask very often "How can I build...". Also, you are welcome to improve it, all your suggestions on how to improve this page or how to improve build in general are welcome. All we want is to get all of you happy with the build ;)

Thanks for the cleanup, a few questions/comments:

I still think there are way too many options exposed and explained by default. mvn clean install plus a profile should be enough - I thought we handled so -Dlocal.file is not required everytime now ?

It's like there are 2-3 of every choice instead of just explaining the most common and best way to use for development.

Why do i need Ant as a prerequisite ? Isn't this only to do the target-platform stuff ?

If the parent and target platform is not needed to build  - then remove it from the page.

If JBoss Nexus is  a requirement now then it seem to be missing instructions on adding the snapshot repo to ones ~/.m2/settings.xml ?

Can't we remove all those -U -b -fae etc. flags by just listing those once ? And some of these look to be purely hudson/jenkins relevant (i.e. -b)
And why do we need to run with -U all the time ? slows things down for a build and you don't have to check snapshots *constantly* as a developer.