[jbosstools-dev] Make the "How To Build" page a favorite in your browser

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 10:55:53 EDT 2012

>>> The Nexus repo is added to the top-level pom.xml for each
>>> component, so it works without additional effort.
>>
>> please don't do that. thats a very bad mvn practice.
>>
>> IMO provide  a settings.xml users can use via -s settings.xml or copy
>> to their ~/.m2/settings.xml instead.
>
> For what it's worth, I think it's pretty convenient when things just compile out of the box without any extra configuration steps:  git clone; mvn install.

I completely agree on that.

> As for it being bad practice, I thought that was one of the benefits of using Maven: not having to scrounge around for JARs, etc. to get the project to build.

problem is that repositories listed in pom.xml's are inherited by all projects using them which means they can affect their builds nondeterministcally. It's a flaw of maven.

Since the only usecase for this is to get our current parent snapshots and every other jboss project already require changes to settings.xml i'm not too worried - especially if we can just provide a settings.xml to do it.