[jbosstools-dev] Make the "How To Build" page a favorite in your browser

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 06:31:03 EDT 2012

>> guys - please read up on how maven works and how its recommended to use.
>>

>> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/why-putting-repositories-in-your-poms-is-a-bad-idea/
> These arguments are good and makes lot of sense for people proxying repositories.
> But assuming someone works on multiple projects, then his settings.xml is polluted with a lot of stuff coming from other projects, and then the build that will happen on his machine may differ a lot from the "normal/maintained" one. So that means that all project have to ship its settings.xml containing the repository to reference, and profiles related to enablement of these repositories. We'll have to split pom.xml into pom.xml + settings.xml. It makes things more complicated for maintainers and consumers, but makes sense in case of an "enterprise" deployment of Maven. Also please note that if you don't want the build to contain any reference to a repository, this is also an argument against target platforms since they directly refer to repository. I'll investigate on how dependencyManagement works with Tycho.
> In a nutshell: What you'd like is a pattern that decouples dependency source (to be overriden when necessary) and dependency management. It adds complexity and it is the contrary of what TP do.

As said, its not the Tycho repositories i'm talking about (if we just used .target files we would remove this issue completely) - its the adding of jboss.org maven  repo (or any other external maven repo) to a pom.xml which is being referenced by users.

Their builds not ours then becomes affected by our repository additions which is bad behavior.