[jbosstools-dev] Automated Tests in tests/ module: What are the Annotated*.java ?

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 13:14:37 EDT 2012

Hello,

Working on the 2 following bugs:
* https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11370 : Get all components to
have tests, and get rid of the "in case there is not test" build steps
* https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11600 :
org.jboss.tools.tests.tests.UtilsTest - java.lang.AssertionError: Not
yet implemented
We are trying to set up the necessary stuff to ensure all modules can
easily write tests and get them executed in their builds without effort.

The issue is that we had to create a dummy test for the tests/ modules
since it did not had test before. The tests modules provides an API to
write tests for JBT/JBDS, so it makes a lot of sense to set up some
tests for this test API, which is used all over the product. But this
dummy test is too dummy. Looking deeper in the content of the tests
module, it looks like there are some automated tests in the plugins/
folder, those tests are not automatically executed at build time. This
is not a clean layout and behavior.
So I am wondering: *what is the purpose of
org.jboss.tools.ui.bot.ext.test.config.Suite and Annotated* class*?
Can/Should it be used for CI testing? I tried it with surefire and got 7
of 9 tests successful.
If this can be automated, please find attached a patch containing the
necessary change to follow the "normal" layout and enable those tests.
If this is not meant to be automated, then what is this?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>