[jbosstools-dev] Ways to increase tycho timeouts

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 05:25:00 EDT 2012

On 08/14/2012 07:10 AM, Rob Stryker wrote:
> I've tried to get an estimate of how long the full suite takes to run,
> but I'm having difficulty. I've added the following to my test's pom.xml:
>

>               <plugin>
>                   <groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
> <artifactId>tycho-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>                   <version>${tychoVersion}</version>
>                   <configuration>
> + <surefire.timeout>10800</surefire.timeout>
> <testSuite>org.jboss.tools.as.test.core</testSuite>
> <testClass>org.jboss.tools.as.test.core.ASToolsTestSuite</testClass>
>                   </configuration>
>               </plugin>
With surefire, the right argument for timeout is
forkedProcessTimeoutInSeconds (
http://www.eclipse.org/tycho/sitedocs/tycho-surefire/tycho-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html#forkedProcessTimeoutInSeconds
). But with JBIDE-12422 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-12422>, I
made the necessary changes so you don't have to modify pom.xml anymore
to try new timeouts. Passing /-Dsurefire.timeout=10800/ to command-line
will now work (property surefire.timeout is the default value for
forkedProcessTimeoutInSeconds when not set in configuration). When you
think you found a timeout that is fine for most cases, you can modify
the value of the surefire.timeout *property* (not argument in
tycho-surefire-plugin configure) to the value you think is the best.
Default value, set in parent pom, for surefire.timeout is 2400 seconds
(40 minutes), but it is often overriden in project-specific pom.
Once again, let me insist that you should use the surefire.timeout
property rather than the forkedProcessTimeoutInSeconds argument.

You should perform a local update to leverage these changes. Feedback
is, as always, welcome.

> If I set the timeout to something large, the suite still shuts off
> exactly at 42 minutes. If I set the timeout to something small, like
> 500, it cuts off early as expected. So the problem here seems I can
> override the setting, but only to make it shorter (??), not longer.  If
> I'm wrong, then I have absolutely no way to explain the current behaviour.
That's weird, but I think this issue disappeared with changes for
JBIDE-12422

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>