[jbosstools-dev] Any interest in splitting 'common' module up?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 06:07:33 EDT 2012

> As a first step, I would suggest the immediate creation of a common.core
> bundle which can hold any and all common utilities that may be of use to
> multiple extenders. Anything for importing projects, job utilities, xml
> mementos, resource utilities, string utilities (maybe, if generic
> enough), etc.

Could even just let the existing "old" bundles depend on this common.core and just expose the packages
and things could migrate incrementally  - would that be feasible ?

> I would expect the scope of this bundle (what it could depend on) would
> be limited to anything that comes in the jee prepackaged eclipse. No
> utilities that interface with anything other than standard eclipse
> distributions.

+1 for the concept, but I don't think "standard eclipse distributions" is specific enough - that stuff
will drag in *alot* of dependencies.

wtp, mylyn, etc. all "explode" dependency wise very fast.

But how much of the stuff could we actually put in the .common.core without
introducing big dependencies ?

> In WTP, their plugins are actually separated even further. They have
> some bundles providing functionality, and then a new bundle for
> integration of the first with JDT. I don't think we really need
> separation between java and not java at this point. If we ever get that
> gigantic, maybe we can split common.core again ;)

When you say bundle do you mean a plugin or feature ?

common is already rather fragmented in both plugins and features so
not sure what your exact point is ?