[jbosstools-dev] Any interest in splitting 'common' module up?

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 06:39:24 EDT 2012

To be more clear, I'll make my suggestions more precise:

1) Split the 'common' module into two different modules. One
lower-level, which all of JBT can depend on, and one higher level. The
higher level ones should be plugins NOT depended on by other modules,
what I would call 'leaf nodes', which implement features or provide
functionality to the user. Other plugins MAY use them, but, they are not
"common" to all of jbt.  The lower level module should be used by all of
jbt. Think of the lower level one as a 'core'.

2) Ensure that plugins with names like '.core' only have core code, no
UI code.  This is a huge problem currently. The split between core/ui in
each common plugin seems off.

3) Remove unused plugins in common (common.jdt / common.jdt.ui /
common.verification (?))

org.jboss.tools.common (split up / clean up / organize, make part of 'low')

org.jboss.tools.common.el.core (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.el.ui (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.gef (part of 'core')

org.jboss.tools.common.jdt (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.jdt.debug (DELETE)

org.jboss.tools.common.jdt.debug.ui (DELETE)

org.jboss.tools.common.jdt.ui (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.meta.ui (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.model (part of 'low' but needs proper core/ui split)

org.jboss.tools.common.model.ui (part of 'low' but needs proper core/ui
split)

org.jboss.tools.common.model.ui.capabilities (??? I assume 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.mylyn (part of' high')

org.jboss.tools.common.projecttemplates (part of 'low')

org.jboss.tools.common.resref.core (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.resref.ui (part of 'high')

org.jboss.tools.common.text.ext (part of 'low')

org.jboss.tools.common.text.xml (part of 'low')

org.jboss.tools.common.ui (split up somehow? Can anyone explain what's
*in* this plugin as opposed to others?)

org.jboss.tools.common.validation

org.jboss.tools.common.verification (DELETE as per dennis, but other
plugins now depend on it (?!))

org.jboss.tools.common.verification.ui (DELETE as per dennis, but other
plugins depend on it (?))

Dennis suggests removing verification.*, but it seems components like
jst. jsf, and struts all use it now, so, thats confusing.

As a first step, I would suggest the immediate creation of a common.core
bundle which can hold any and all common utilities that may be of use to
multiple extenders. Anything for importing projects, job utilities, xml
mementos, resource utilities, string utilities (maybe, if generic
enough), etc.

Could even just let the existing "old" bundles depend on this common.core and just expose the packages
and things could migrate incrementally  - would that be feasible ?

Yes, this would be feasible, and is the path I would take. THe path for
this would be to introduce the new plugin, copy classes over, do NOT
delete the old classes, mark the old classes as Deprecated, and have the
old classes extend the new ones. This gives other components time to
switch their references to the new component / plugin.

We can then remove the 'cruft' later once we know for certain nobody
else is using the deprecated classes.

> I would expect the scope of this bundle (what it could depend on) would
> be limited to anything that comes in the jee prepackaged eclipse. No
> utilities that interface with anything other than standard eclipse
> distributions.

> +1 for the concept, but I don't think "standard eclipse distributions" is specific enough - that stuff will drag in*alot*  of dependencies. - Max

I agree. We could split it up based on 'product', like GEF / WTP / etc.  One plugin for integration with each major product. I do think this is overkill for now, though. I think limiting ourselves to what comes with a plain eclipse install (not bundle, just the standard raw) + wtp.  This includes basically eclipse platform, emf, gef,  maybe dtp, and wtp.