[jbosstools-dev] Extending the AS Server View

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 15:30:35 EST 2012

>> I see no problem in extending it - just need someone with the use
>> case for supporting it.
>
> At this point, I think the minimum is to simply expose a method for executing management requests.  This involves the following minor changes:
> * add a ModelNode execute(IAS7ManagementDetails, ModelNode request) method to IJBoss7ManagerService.
> * move jboss-dmr from ...management.as71 to ...management.core (for ModelNode dependency)

that makes us afaik dependent on specific version of AS/client library does it not ?

We've been burned by that so many times.

>> Exposing existing deployments etc. is useful - but only works for
>> servers you have full admin access to afaik so would have
>> to be resilient against not having access - i.e. openshift does not
>> expose such and remote servers might not either.
>
> I haven't quite worked out the details for where to place this stuff, probably a new project (something like org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.v7.ui?).

better question for Rob S.

>>> I don't mind putting together a patch for any (all) of this stuff.
>>> I should be able to get the basics done in a couple days.
>>
>> patches are welcome but do be aware we are starting to lock down for
>> GA soon (codefreeze for beta is 16th)
>
> I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Note, this kind of stuff is important we get in - but we should be sure anything that you guys become dependent on is properly separated out as public
API since I don't consider what we have now a stable public api.