[jbosstools-dev] Removal of plugin, consequences?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 06:20:03 EST 2012

> What is wrong with as7 name?
>
> Just leave the name as is, "as7" I mean. When you change something just
> move version for bundle +1 in minor part from 2.3.0 to 2.4.0 for
> example. You need to do it for all bundles in component using maven +
> tycho (see max email about it).

the name came because there was as7 and as7.1 different jars - just like is needed for Hibernate tools now today.

After 7.1 latest jar release that is no longer the case.

For me it would make more sense to remove the as71 and keep as7 as the name until the day we *actually*
need a different one, but I wouldn't be too fuzzed about it.

…about the original question about old plugins being on disk or not then that does not really matter for p2.
p2 has a lifecycle where after an update it will actually keep the old plugins on disk, but they will not be loaded
*unless* someone explicitly asks for them.

If nothing asks for it then P2 will remove/clean it up on next start afaik.

Thus for normal plugins they will actually stay around one restart and disappear on the second run.

For as7 we are talking osgi services here which are "asked" for in a different manner than via p2 dependencies -
I do not know how that behave thus something to look into by simply trying it out.
/max