[jbosstools-dev] Wizards for Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 13:49:13 EST 2012

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  I will certainly keep that in mind and drill deeper into the subtleties between the code generation features in the various frameworks.

One of the nice things about SwitchYard is that it abstracts the user from the underlying WS invocation/handling framework.  A side-effect of this is that the user may be required to generate transformations for converting XML<->Java (unless their service is implemented using another technology, e.g. Camel route or business process).  That said, SwitchYard supports a number of transformation frameworks including JAXB and Smooks.

So, for SY, the WSDL is used mainly for defining interfaces, with the gateways (bindings) being configured externally.  Obviously, there are some requirements on the port bindings, but these adhere to standards (i.e. doc-lit).  The early stages will probably require some tweaking of the generated wsdl on the part of the user (but that's less than they need to do today).  (Baby steps.)

After a bit more thought, I'll probably stage this work as follows:
1. basic code generation
2. integrate code generation into service promotion
3. integrate endpoint/binding configuration with service promotion.

The end goal being something nice like, "promote service through soap gateway."  User selects the service interface, wsdl is generated, context and port are configured, binding is added to switchyard.xml.  This is a long way off, but is the end goal.  (Other variants might be: add soap gateway, with the user selecting an existing wsdl; generate wsdl using existing schema; etc.)

Thanks again,
Rob