[jbosstools-dev] Teiid and multiple runtime versions ?

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:17:15 EDT 2012

On 10/08/2012 01:03 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

>>> If not - how do we make sure this does not repeat itself when Teiid 8.1 or 9.0 comes out ?
>>>

>> My thoughts were this would be a P2 repo with multiple versions of the teiid feature. It would be up
>> to clients to set their plugin dependencies to the appropriate version. This is already done
>> currently in the TD plugin codebase on the basis of teiid_embedded_query [8.0.0,9.0.0). Would this work?
>
> I'm talking about *users* - i.e. users installing Teiid Designer tools - how do they work with Teiid 7 and Teiid 8 acroos their projects?
>
> similar to how you don't change your IDE to work with Java 7 while you also have projects that targets Java 6.
>
> /max

This is a problem that goes wider than the P2 repo. At the moment, TD 8.0 development has gone down
this road:

	TD 8.0 -> Teiid 8+ -> jboss 7+

Thus, upgrading TD features to 8.0 means users will have to upgrade to teiid 8 and jboss 7. They
will lose access to teiid 7 and jboss 5.1 existing installations.

We have had discussions in TD about trying to bundle both teiid 7 and teiid 8 jars but its a scary
and very problematic solution.

Barry, can expand further on this if required.

Cheers

PGR

--
Paul Richardson

  * p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
  * p.g.richardson at redhat.com
  * pgrichardson at linux.com

"I know exactly who reads the papers ...

  * The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
  * The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
  * The Times is read by people who do actually run the country.
  * The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
  * The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
  * The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
  * The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Jim Hacker, Yes Minister