[jbosstools-dev] Teiid and multiple runtime versions ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 08:36:01 EDT 2012

>> I'm talking about *users* - i.e. users installing Teiid Designer tools - how do they work with Teiid 7 and Teiid 8 acroos their projects?
>>
>> similar to how you don't change your IDE to work with Java 7 while you also have projects that targets Java 6.
>>

> This is a problem that goes wider than the P2 repo.

yes I know - hence why I moved it to a separate thread.

> At the moment, TD 8.0 development has gone down
> this road:
>
> 	TD 8.0 -> Teiid 8+ -> jboss 7+
>
> Thus, upgrading TD features to 8.0 means users will have to upgrade to teiid 8 and jboss 7. They
> will lose access to teiid 7 and jboss 5.1 existing installations.

yeah, so users can't use i.e. JBT4/JBDS 6 with Teiid 7/SOA-P ....not unless the teiid 7 plugins can be installed
next to each other somehow.

> We have had discussions in TD about trying to bundle both teiid 7 and teiid 8 jars but its a scary
> and very problematic solution.

Yes, because Teiid Designer is hardcoupled to the exact runtime, a runtime that does not have the same compatibility needs as tools got :(