[jbosstools-dev] Red Deer Info?

Jiri Peterka jpeterka at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 04:08:32 EDT 2012

Hi Max,
On 10/29/2012 07:58 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> I asked this on https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-integration-tests/pull/3 but I assume noone saw it since the issue is closed, so repeating it here:
>
> How is this red deer stuff going to work ? which updatesites will contain it ? I did not realize these are actually eclipse plugins - and thus not just maven dependencies. by reddeer being on its own the maintanence of those updatesites and releases needs to be done fully before we should have tests depending on them, right?
Please see,
https://github.com/jboss-reddeer/reddeer/wiki/Getting-Started ,
"Installing RedDeer" section and "RedDeer and Maven/Tycho" section.

> I saw today there is something like p2-reddeer.rhcloud.com/stable - what is that and why are we publishing this way and how are this stuff supposed to be used ?
Yes, there are update sites for last stable, particular stable versions
and dev branch update site

> There have been no info/news on this but now alot of our tests is suddenly dependent on this making our builds rely on something that is *not* mirrored nor communicated how to use afaik ?
There is some initial info here
https://github.com/jboss-reddeer/reddeer/wiki but still we are working
on it.

> Did I miss something ? i.e. i'm still not following why we want to have separate infrastructure for something this eclipse specific ? but first of all i'm worried about having jbosstools code dependent on something like this very unknown reddeer.
RedDeer was initiated to overcome some problems and shortcomings from
SWTBot usage and to bring desired features for functional test
development. Related to JBT it's meant to be used only for
integration/functional tests. During SVN times we decided  to have it as
independent of JBT builds and make it available as a project for (not
only JBT) functional testing on Eclipse. Currently there is a code on
Github, wiki on Github and builds on OpenShift. When RedDeer is mature
enough we can consider further steps. Related to dependencies and builds
it's stable as far as OpenShift site is stable.