[jbosstools-dev] Red Deer Info?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 09:19:22 EDT 2012

>> I asked this on https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-integration-tests/pull/3 but I assume noone saw it since the issue is closed, so repeating it here:
>>
>> How is this red deer stuff going to work ? which updatesites will contain it ? I did not realize these are actually eclipse plugins - and thus not just maven dependencies. by reddeer being on its own the maintanence of those updatesites and releases needs to be done fully before we should have tests depending on them, right?
> Please see,
> https://github.com/jboss-reddeer/reddeer/wiki/Getting-Started ,
> "Installing RedDeer" section and "RedDeer and Maven/Tycho" section.

cool - but why?

>> I saw today there is something like p2-reddeer.rhcloud.com/stable - what is that and why are we publishing this way and how are this stuff supposed to be used ?
> Yes, there are update sites for last stable, particular stable versions
> and dev branch update site

cool - but why have this as separate ?

>> There have been no info/news on this but now alot of our tests is suddenly dependent on this making our builds rely on something that is *not* mirrored nor communicated how to use afaik ?
> There is some initial info here
> https://github.com/jboss-reddeer/reddeer/wiki but still we are working
> on it

fine - but why are we adding this as a separate project to jbosstools when its only jbosstools that needs it ?

and if others need it why not use the jbosstools updatesites for this instead of separate maintancne for it ?

We have jbosstools target platform and setup copying/mirroring of these to avoid data getting lost AND to avoid the build being slower when adding new p2 repos.

>> Did I miss something ? i.e. i'm still not following why we want to have separate infrastructure for something this eclipse specific ? but first of all i'm worried about having jbosstools code dependent on something like this very unknown reddeer.
> RedDeer was initiated to overcome some problems and shortcomings from
> SWTBot usage and to bring desired features for functional test
> development. Related to JBT it's meant to be used only for
> integration/functional tests. During SVN times we decided  to have it as
> independent of JBT builds and make it available as a project for (not
> only JBT) functional testing on Eclipse.

Yeah, I heard this but never saw any info on it except an initial email where I asked the same questions - why
create a separate project/build setup for this - its just overhead.

> Currently there is a code on
> Github, wiki on Github and builds on OpenShift. When RedDeer is mature
> enough we can consider further steps. Related to dependencies and builds
> it's stable as far as OpenShift site is stable.

why not just add these repos as part of the jbosstools base tests builds ?

Look, i'm fine you try and create a separate project for testing - thats your choice to do this; - what i'm not fine about is adding additional p2 repos midstream into the build of jbosstools.

Thats *not* something that we ever done before (For good reasons: speed, maintanence, reproducibilit etc.) and if it were to happen you add new dependencies then please raise this on the mailing list since it
affects everyone, its not just the Brno Office that works on this.