[jbosstools-dev] [gitmigration] Follow up - git/jira links, push force protection, svn ignores, build checkout, gitmigration guide

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 08:16:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

I got several questions about git migration so I thought I would just write this up quickly with current outstanding issues/info:

Jira does not show git commits in its source tab
=====================================

There is an open helpdesk request #175361 asking to add all github.com/jbosstools-* repos into JBIDE and JBDS jira.

All svn:ignores was not migrated over
=============================

This is my fault, I thought the git-svn migration I setup did this but apparently all the .gitignores that were in there came from our own svn (I assume nickboldt added them while he used git-svn)
but did not cover the same git-ignore rules as the svn-ignore ones - thus there is some inconsistencies here.

We dont really need many of these .gitignore's I believe, thus I've added a root .gitignore in (almost) all projects that excludes target/ and bin/ dir globally. nothing else.

If your project has a specific file it needs excluding (i.e. a internal build jar) then add that to a local .gitignore for that directoy - not to the global one.

If you got an editor that creates funky named scratch files I suggest you configure a global exclude for it. See Global .gitignore at https://help.github.com/articles/ignoring-files

What happens if I do push --force on our master repos ?

A kittten dies, an angel looses its wings and everyone who have pulled from this repo will now have to go through excruciating pain of recloning/repulling and rebasing their work.
Oh - and did I mention you might loose someone already pushed changes ?

Unfortunately github does not allow this to be disabled on projects hosted on github.com (they do on their enterprise repo product - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5094524/github-prevent-colaborator-from-push-f/5094762#5094762)

Thus for now - just don't do it.

I'll try and setup a warning system (add requestb.in hooks to all repos), for it in case it does happen so we can at least detect it and restore a proper repo if it occurs. (Hibernate core repos have this and helped them a few times)