[jbosstools-dev] Example of the importance of getting proper headless fast and quick p2director installs up and running...

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 08:51:03 EDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 02:35 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> ...or have a proper "minimal target" platform to build against. Take your pick.
>>>

>>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-10287
>>>

>>> A small innocent dependency and PDE annoying default behavior of putting in the very exact version used and suddenly you can't install plugins into SR0.
>>>
>>> Our automating tests should help catch these.
>>>
>> It does: http://jenkins.mw.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com/hudson/job/jbosstools-4.0_trunk.install-tests-e4.2-jbt_trunk/352/testReport/org.jboss.tools.tests.installation/InstallTest/testInstall/
> link seem to be dead, http://jenkins.mw.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com/hudson/job/jbosstools-4.0_trunk.install-tests-e4.2-jbt_trunk/357/  is better
Yup.

> so thats cool but there are a few problems here:
>
> 1) I can see the build is red - but no info about what failed.
>     (I found it after doing ~7 clicks to reach http://jenkins.mw.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com/hudson/job/jbosstools-4.0_trunk.install-tests-e4.2-jbt_trunk/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/org.jboss.tools.tests.installation/InstallTest/testInstall/ which is actually pretty precise)
Right. I think you can get it in 1 or 2 clicks by clicking directly on
chart. But I agree we should find a way to get faster/easier feedback.
However, I don't have an idea on how to make it clearer...

> 2) how do i run this test before I commit to trunk so i can see if my changes affected
Actually, you can't because this specific build uses the aggregated
site. However, a general way to test a site is to build it locally, and
try to install it on a fresh Eclipse (with the aggregated site added to
available update-sites).

> ...apparently the build is using later versions since otherwise this should have failed in build.
Rght. Target-platform contains 4.2.1 stuff, whereas this tests runs
against a fresh Eclipse 4.2.

> Thus as a minimum this build job should be one of those sent to jbosstools-dev IMO. That would make everyone aware something is wrong in dependencies. wdyt?
Sure. I added jbosstools-dev and jbosstools-builds to default recipient
for this job.
Sorry, I meant https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-12694

--
Mickael Istria