[jbosstools-dev] Question on docs commit rights

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 06:33:08 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:25:55PM -0400, Rob Stryker wrote:
>This question was brought about after a jira was opened for me:
>https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-13711
>
>Basically, it's a jira for typos in docs. It was re-opened twice for
>further modifications, both by Nick and by Michelle.
>
>My questions are as follows:
>1) does Michelle have commit rights to all docs folders?

no - git do not allow finegrained commit rights (svn did but we didn't enforce that
because of the extreme admin overhead that would give)

>2) If not, doesn't this seem very wrong?

no - you are supposed as lead of the component to review and approve doc changes too.

>3) Do typo changes require jiras at all? Shouldn't someone just fix them
>and commit?

the typo was reported in a jira - why not record the fix against it there?

>4) Wouldn't it make sense for the purpose to 'fix' docs... be the 'docs'
>person?

Yes, which she did and you are the reviewer of them and can apply them.

>I'm sure this will come off as that I'm lazy or something, but, that's
>not the case really. My time is just better spent on other activities,
>and I'm also trying to save Michelle's time as well. If she could just
>fix the typos and inconsistancies on her own, wouldn't that be better?

She just did - you just review and apply them; its trivial. We are spreading
out the work so it is not just *one* person that takes a look at changes.

This is different from before yes. Is it fully optimal ? probably not, but
it is better than before where  you did not even realize the docs where
being updated and thus had no idea how good or bad they were.

>I don't believe docs should be centralized in one core place. I believe
>jmx docs belong in jmx, AS docs belong in AS, etc, but, I do believe the
>docs person should have full control over the docs, at least to the
>point where they shouldn't have to ask the component leaders to commit
>typo fixes for them with jiras, branches, etc etc.

Yes, I would like to keep the reference docs in each component too,
but to do that component owners need to take ownership which includes reviewing
incoming changes.

The "bug" here is that we assume Doc fixes Doc's and noone else IMO.