[jbosstools-dev] Updating n&n, be aware

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 06:17:15 EDT 2013

Hey everyone:

I know I mentioned this once before, but I'd like to list some best
practices when updating n&n.

Currently, each n&n page links to its previous and forward its next, so
AS points to openshift,  openshift points back to AS, and forward to
whoever is next.

When adding your n&n, make sure you:
1) create your new n&n file (obviously)
2) update index.html, preferably add yourself to the END of the list,
but if you have a spot you usually are (between x-component and
y-component) then stick to that
3) update your BEFORE in your new n&n file to whoever is *before* you in
the list in index.html. If your n&n is the top element on index.html,
then link back to index.
4) Update your NEXT in your n&n file to whoever is *after* you in the
list in index.html, or, if the last item, link back to index.

If you want to put yourself at the bottom of the list, then make sure
whoever was the bottom before you now points to you instead of index.
Similar goes for top of the list.

I noted today that:
1) livereload had no link to before / after at all
2) openshift had a 'before' of AS-tools, which was not in the list. If
AS Tools didn't publish an n&n this time, openshift's "before" link
would be linking to a non-existant file
3) openshift's next pointed to someone who was not after them in
index.html (ie not browsersim)
4) The component after openshift (browsersim) did not point back to
openshift
5) browsersim was in the list twice