[jbosstools-dev] Tests error during local build

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Tue Aug 13 08:49:53 EDT 2013

The stated workflow is already being done [0], except that today:

* the current (N) and previous (N-1) are composited together into a
single site [1]

* the project's previous build is NOT then removed from the composite &
deleted once the new build is done publishing

* the composite*.xml metadata files are not regenerated when publishing,
but are *manually* updated if/when a new component is added or job is
renamed

[0]
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-build-ci/blob/master/publish/publish.sh#L541

[1]
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/core/trunk/compositeArtifacts.xml

This is done because:

* after the publish of the N build is done, before the bits are visible
on download.jboss.org, the lag seems to vary from seconds to minutes.

* a build-in-progress which resolved against the N-1 bits will fail if
those bits suddenly vanish.

---

For the stable branch, the same push-then-rename approach [0] is used
(rather than destructively pushing on top of an existing build, as we
did a few years ago), but we only composite [2] the latest (N) because:

* stable branch builds change less often and
* we want to guarantee that we're using the latest.

[2]
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/core/4.1.kepler/compositeArtifacts.xml

Hope that makes sense. If you think something can be improved w/o
causing new problems (such as updating the timestamp in the
composite*.xml files dynamically w/ every published build, so p2 sees it
as "new" more often), please don't hesitate to open a JIRA w/ details on
what you'd change, and how.

Cheers,

Nick