[jbosstools-dev] Kepler M5 target platform sources have moved to a new github repo

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 07:57:12 EST 2013

> $ mvn clean install -Dmaven.repo.local=/home/jeremy/.m2/repository1
> -DskipTests=true  -P maximum
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that resulting TP in my "repository1" is to be
> used when building & testing my components with the mvn clean install
> command and specifying -Dmaven.repo.local=/home/jeremy/.m2/repository1 ?
Further builds won't use the Target Platfrom in repository1. I don't
think you gain anything with this approach compared to the default one
which is to consume it from Nexus.

A target-platform contains reference to some site. Those site are used
*at build-time* by your components build to resolve the dependencies.
The caching in Tycho does not work the same way as caching in Maven.
Building the target-platform locally is not enough to save some time.
Moreover, Tycho adds dependencies to its cache when you run a "normal"
build of your component. Trying to pre-fill cache won't make you save
time, it will even take more time as it will try to fetch stuff that may
not be useful to you.

In a nutshell, running a local build of TP as you describe here is useless.

If you want to save some time, then you can have a look in the
jbosstools/multiple/multiple.target.repo folder. Here is a mirror site
of the target platfrom. You can then define it as a mirror of the
unified site in your settings.xml:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform/Authentication_and_Mirrors
. But this will require you to maintain the mapping between TP version
and local site in your settings.xml. That can be a source of errors.

How much time does it take to make a build on your machine?
I'm expected that setting up Akamai  (
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-13283 ) will speed up most
downloads from download.jboss.org/tools so you won't have to deal with
some much error-prone workflows to save some build time.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>