[jbosstools-dev] Showing no URL after deploying a Portlet project

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 02:49:59 EST 2013

On 2013-01-16 23:36, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

>>> These projects are war',s correct ?
>>
>> These projects are directories and files ;) which are ususally
>> deployed as WARs. I am not sure if other forms are possible.
>> Probably not.
>
> Eclipse cannot import just directories and files....they are of some
> eclipse known project type. And yes they are a war - which I assume
> if you out a servlet or index.html in these actually will be served
> out as such, correct?

The content of Portlet WARs is served by a portlet container and not by
servlet container. There may exist files like index.html, but they usually
do not make much sense standalone. They are fragments that are intended
to be embedded in some context by the portlet container. Moreover, ATM
there is no way how portlets could be accessed standalone via URL.

>>> That means they can have content hosted out of them don't they ?
>>
>> Hm... "content hosted out of them" - what is that?
>
> put a index.html in here or a servlet and AS will pick them up won't
> they ?
>
>>> What inside these projects (which eclipse has info about) can be
>>> used to decide its not relevant to open ?
>>
>> Yes, that is what I proposed: JBT should not show any URL for
>> projects which have gatein-3.5-bom dependency in their POMs. Is
>> that doable?
>
> The stuff that figures out what is runnable doesn't have access to
> maven metadata so its not a good choice IMO. It can see files and
> classpath entries if it must.

I see, so looking if there is a src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/portlet.xml file
in the project would work, right?

Thanks a lot,

Peter