[jbosstools-dev] Classpaths for projects targeting AS 7.2 / EAP 6.1

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 09:10:00 EDT 2013

Hey guys:

So I've had this in the back of my mind for a bit and kinda forgot about
it... But now users of JBossTools alpha release are starting to notice,
and its time to bring it up again.

In the past, up until as 7.1, JBossTools would set a list of jars to
automatically add to a project's classpath to help users get started. If
they create a web project, or ejb project, or ear project, we'd
helpfully add a bunch of common jars we're pretty sure users would on
their classpath automatically.

For AS 7.2/EAP6.1, we currently return 0 jars. A user creating an as7.2
runtime and a web project to go with it gets 0 jars, and 0 help at
starting their project (unless they're using maven stuff or jboss
central stuff). This was because we were informed it was inappropriate
for us to just go willy-nilly poking around the modules folder ;)

I do remember discussing with some of the AS guys about this, but I
can't seem to find a jira requesting API for us to figure out what jars
should be made available to a client. So if anyone remembers a jira
being created, that'd be great, otherwise I can make a new one.

Remember, our requirements are that this must be done based only on a
non-running server, and preferably not launching a new VM or process to
inspect an installation folder since that would count as long-running.
Ideally this would just return a best-guess of what's publicly available
to a majority of deployable units.

And of course I remember from the discussion that the list of jars would
obviously change based on what kind of deployment needs access... and
that any correct implementation would require a running server and
jboss-modules fully loaded etc, but that's not what JBT is looking for.
We're just looking for a best-guess that covers most of the bases.

Again, if we weren't told not to by the AS team, we'd probably just
hand-pick a nice subset of jars that include javax packages and the
like, but we've been repeatedly told that poking around the modules
folder is inappropriate, so, guidance is requested.

Anyway, if anyone knows a jira that was opened for this (if one indeed
was opened), I'd be glad to discuss the issue there. Otherwise, it'd be
good to get some sense of what's possible and if it will be included in
as7.2 or not.

Again, I'm not experienced at coding for app server, at all actually,
but if I can be of any help at all in any way, I'd definitely be willing
to try to make sure this stuff goes on. Currently exposing 0 jars seems
very wrong and users will complain.