[jbosstools-dev] Test failures/timeout are very bad

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Tue May 21 04:46:24 EDT 2013

Hi all,

On 05/18/2013 08:53 PM, Nick Boldt wrote:
> base: test fail
Base (which is used by almost all our component) has been red for more
than a week because of test failures or timeout. It has even been
branched for a revision that has been red for a week.
What does that mean? It means that we will create a Beta1 based on a
component something that either has a bug, or that we don't know whether
it works or not. If I were Len or anyone else from the QE team, I would
be really annoyed by the fact that QE is about to be shipped a build
where base component is not guaranteed to work...

This is a general bad habit we have, as a team. regarding automated
tests. Automated tests, on whichever component, are here to ensure the
quality of what we're doing, and to avoid respins or worse, bugs on
end-usage.
These failed tests have to take priority #1 when they happen, and you
should monitor mails from CI or at the CI dashboard to check everything
you're working on seems to behave well. Leaving jobs into a Red state is
just taking a huge risk, which can have pretty bad consequences
(respins) and that will cost much more time and effort to fix later.

So please try to keep the CI jobs blue. It's our responsibility to all
of us to do good stuff, and to ensure we're doing good stuff.
Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>