[jbosstools-dev] How to setup an eclipse update site for Fuse Eclipse tooling

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Fri May 31 10:40:31 EDT 2013

Hey Lars,

----- Original Message -----

> Hi,

> I am currently working on setting up a Jenkins job which builds the Fuse
> Eclipse tooling and then deploys the update site
> to some web server. There are some questions I have and maybe someone can
> help me a bit…

> 1. I set up a Jenkins job already (
> https://jenkins.mw.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com/hudson/view/SOA-Team/view/Fuse_6/job/Fuse-Tools/
> ) and used the SwitchYard Eclipse Tools
> job as template. So far all is fine and the project builds but I saw that my
> update site repository zip file has a different naming than for example
> SwitchYard Tools where it
> is named like "site-assembly.zip". How can I change the name of the created
> zip file?

> 2. The SwitchYard Tools job is calling a shell script after the Maven build
> is finished. You pull some script file from a remote location and execute it
> locally at the Jenkins job.
> This script seems to do the update site deployment or at least some
> preparations (haven't fully examined the script) but it seems to be a
> general script which is used for
> more than one project. (btw. this script assumes that the update site zip
> file is named like "site-assembly.zip" if I understood it correctly)
> The question is now if I can also call that script in our Jenkins job. Maybe
> somebody could explain a bit more detailed what exactly is done by that
> script and to check with me
> if that script can be used for Fuse Tools as well.

This script moves the update site to a staging area on jboss.org, e.g. http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/SwitchYard-Tools/
Notice the use of the job name in the target URL.

> 3. I saw that the SwitchYard Tools Jenkins job triggers another job after it
> is finished. (
> https://jenkins.mw.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com/hudson/job/SwitchYard-Tools-publish/
> )
> What exactly is that job doing and how can I setup one for Fuse Tools job too
> (if that is needed).

The script used by this job configured to copy the content from the staging area to the download space on jboss.org, e.g. http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/integration/juno/soa-tooling/switchyard/1.0.0/
The script allows you to configure the build type (e.g. integration, development, stable), the target Eclipse release (e.g. juno, kepler), the project name (e.g. switchyard) and the version (e.g. 0.8.0, 1.0.0, etc.). In addition to copying the bits, it also updates composite*.xml files in the parent directory, which allows users to point simply to http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/integration/juno/soa-tooling/switchyard/ and see all available versions.