[jbosstools-dev] Question on ASTools profiling

Snjezana Peco snjezana.peco at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 10:44:16 EST 2013

On 11/7/2013 1:20 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:43:34PM +0800, Rob Stryker wrote:
>>
>> This block of code is also a bit inconvenient since it happens after 95%
>> of the launch code but before the vmrunner.run(etc), so it requires us
>> to basically copy a superclass's entire 300 line method in order to
>> sneak the profiling bit in before the launch is run.
>
> Why do you need 300 line method to add this ?
> It's what other server adapters do too for enabling profile is it not ?
>
> Maybe we got it in the wrong place since this actually sounds like
> something that all server adapters should be able to benefit from as
> long as they are launched
> with pure java.

I have added a profile integration with JBT servers based on the
integration of WTP servers.
That feature has worked with TPTP.

>> Anyway, any advice on how this works, what kinda changes it can make to
>> the launch, or how to set up my env to test it, would be very helpful.
>
> Install a Profiler plugin, like YourKit
> (http://www.yourkit.com/features/eclipse/) which supports
> Eclipse notion of Profile runs.
>
> Then you should be able to run a profiler against any java launch,
> including our server adapter.

I have tried to start a server from the Servers view using the Profile
button.
It works for Tomcat, but doesn't work for JBoss AS.
I have tried Tomcat 7, AS 7.1.1, AS 7.2.0, EAP 6.1 and YourKit 12.
As I can see, YourKit integrates with WTP Tomcat and generic adapter. I
suppose we would have to add the integration with YourKit or use manual
settings.
When starting a server in the debug or run mode, it can be profiled from
YourKit UI.

Snjeza