[jbosstools-dev] Running Maven tests against a pre-existing RCP application

Denis Golovin dgolovin at exadel.com
Wed Nov 13 03:25:07 EST 2013

On 11/12/2013 12:37 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:
> On 11/09/2013 03:17 AM, Denis Golovin wrote:
>> 1. Not all our test plug-ins are ready to be used with this feature
>> due to forgetting include test projects into binary build; so far
>> I've found o.j.t.tests.test and o.j.t.foundation.core.test have such
>> problem; I couldn't go further than foundation.core.test plug-in
>> because of problems explained below
> I don't understand this issue. You mean that surefire-plugin was
> configured to include dependencies, and that using an installed
> application doesn't work? If so, it's somehow normal, Tycho will
> ignore the extra-depedencies with this mode, and will only install the
> bundle + its dependencies from MANFIEST (if not already available).
> Additional dependencies will be ignored, and expected to be already
> available in the target application.
> http://www.eclipse.org/tycho/sitedocs/tycho-surefire/tycho-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html#dependencies
> However, I understand this can quickly become a kind of limitation.
> Feel free to open a bug against Tycho asking for support of additional
> dependencies. Please add me in CC.

It is build.properties problems when not all resources from test plug-in
are included into bundle jar. Should be fixed.

>> 2. Second try to run usually ends up with
>>
>> [INFO] Installing IUs [org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test,
>> org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.osgibooter,
>> org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.junit4] to
>> /home/eskimo/jbdevstudio-java-with-space/studio
>> Installing org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206.
>> Installing org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.osgibooter 0.19.0.
>> Installing org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.junit4 0.19.0.
>> Installation failed.
>> Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
>>  Software being installed: JBoss Foundation Tests
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206 (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206)
>>  Software currently installed: JBoss Foundation Tests
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203 (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203)
>>  Only one of the following can be installed at once:
>>   JBoss Foundation Tests 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203
>> (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203)
>>   JBoss Foundation Tests 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206
>> (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206)
>> Application failed, log file location:
>> /tmp/config3255596288906066066equinox/1383962733126.log
>> [INFO]
> That's because Foundation Tests is a singleton, and that you tried to
> run tests twice which caused to install the same bundle twice. p2
> doesn't allow multiple version in same application.
> If possible, remove the singleton directive from bundle. If not, then
> you need to use a clean application (which doesn't already contain the
> bundle) for every tests.

If I cannot change test an then run it again and again against the same
product installation then there is no point to use this feature in
development.

Should it be updating singleton instead of installing it? Would that help?

>> 3. Also I've seen problems with shutting down the RCP installation:
>>  T E S T S
>> Running org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test.FoundationAllTests
>> [...]
>> Results :
>> Tests run: 9, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0
>>
>> Job found still running after platform shutdown.  Jobs should be
>> canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown:
>> org.eclipse.ui.internal.decorators.DecorationScheduler$3
>> Job found still running after platform shutdown.  Jobs should be
>> canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown:
>> org.eclipse.ui.internal.decorators.DecorationScheduler$1
>> Job found still running after platform shutdown.  Jobs should be
>> canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown:
>> org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.AnimationManager$1
>> An error has occurred. See the log file
>> /home/eskimo/Projects/jbdevstudio/src-fork/jbosstools-base/foundation/tests/org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test/target/work/data/.metadata/.log.
> So it looks like pending jobs cause application to send an error code.
> Not sure of who's responsible of that. I tend to think it can be an
> issue with the tycho surefirebooter application.
> Please open a bug against Tycho and add me in CC.

I'll do that.

Thanks
Denis