[jbosstools-dev] What are you using in p2 repositories produced by build/CI ?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 12:36:06 EST 2014

> On 05 Dec 2014, at 18:10, Mickael Istria <mistria at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/2014 04:10 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Great we are looking at rationalizing what metadata we generate but I
>> think
>> it is the wrong question being asked. It is not wether we use the files,
>> it is wether we need them.
> We'll obviously keep the ones we need. Nick and I seemed to identify that only GIT_REVISION.txt and build.properties are currently needed for aggregation and are actually used occasionally.

How are they used in aggregation ? For other things than just info to add to the aggregation ?
>> The build logs are also mostly for investigative purposes and if these
>> were actually available within a build that would useful (removes need
>> to wait for jenkins to load)
> Hypothetical "would" isn't enough here. For investigation, I find it pretty acceptable and consistent with the possible failures to either look at Jenkins log directly or re-run the build locally.

Not everyone has access to Jenkins.

Rerunning builds isn't possible if the jobs actually changed since then.

Usecases are: knowing what version of what content was actually included in the build.

And since we never go out of snapshot mode these logs are the only way to actually know the details.

>> What is missing is actually being able to find and read this info.
> Can you please elaborate on an *actual* use-case which drives you to this assumption?

That these actually never are used and you have to know how to find them.
>> i.e.
>> http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/jbosstools-4.2.1.CR1-build-core/2014-11-23_23-27-39-B304/logs/md5sums.txt
>> doesn't actually list the zip name the md5sum relate to...also it looks
>> like the numbers are always the same which smells like a bug.
> I agree on the smell of a bug there.
>> Also the git logs only says the sha1, but not which repository it comes
>> from.
> I plan to fix this in the publish mojo I'm working on.
>> Thus I think most of this info is actually very relevant info to have
>> but looks like it could be cleaned up, checked for errors and document
>> it.
> It may be relevant, but is it worth the maintenance effort?

What is the maintaence effort here ? Afaik it's copy of the files generated in the build ?