[jbosstools-dev] First Steps for JBT Contributors

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 09:17:13 EDT 2014

On 8 Jul 2014, at 15:27, Peter Palaga wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> With a little help from my Friends Fred and Mickael, I have just set
> up
> the development environment. Mickael asked me to post this here, to
> make
> it more visible.
>
> The good news is that there already is a Development Environment
> chapter
> in devdoc [1] which covers the topic fairly well. Nothing comes to my
> mind that would be missing there.
>
> The bad news is that I have not found it when I was needing it.
> Googling
> for "jboss tools environment" [2] does not return it on the first
> page.
> Besides that, there is a couple of "Contribute" links in the footer of
> http://tools.jboss.org/ but this important document is not linked
> there.
> A "Contributor's first steps" link refering to [1] could perhaps be
> added there.
> The "Write Code" link pointing to
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/ sounds a little bit
> misleading to me. "Get the Code" or perhaps "Checkout the Code" would
> describe better where it leads.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/blob/master/building/development_environment.md
> [2] https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=jboss+tools+environment

thanks for the feedback - I do agree as we have grown to have many
multiple repositories instead of "just one"
our guides for how to checkout and build have gotten weak in comparison.

What I would like to see is that jbosstools-devdoc gets a better index
page, better content and that we start linking
to that from the various relevant places (to get it show up in google
searches).

If you have ideas/suggestions to that and time before me, the simplest
is to do a PR against devdoc and I will happily merge them in.