[jbosstools-dev] How to Triage Issues?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 15:54:58 EDT 2014

On 9 Jun 2014, at 10:11, Rob Stryker wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Do we have a document available with the proper way to triage issues?

Unless something changed the 2 weeks i've been on PTO then the emails
should link to
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/HowDevelopersShouldUseJBossToolsJIRA
(created back in 2008 and hardly changed since 2010 afaik :)

Please let me know if you find that info wrong or missing context and we
should get that updated.

> seriously have no idea anymore, and every time I try to change an old
> issue, I end up getting an email telling me that it's not triaged now.

Because fix version = not set....

> I used to assign myself, even if I didn't intend to work on it, to
> indicate that it "was read". I was told this was incorrect, and that
> there should be no assignee if nobody is actively working on it.

Yes - that is correct.

> I also used to mark it as targeted to later, but I was told this was
> vague and should not be used as a dumping ground for all issues that
> aren't on the plan.

Yes - we use .x for that or upcoming betas/cr's for 'planning'

> But if I leave the fix version blank (to indicate it is not on my
> plan),
> I get an email telling me the issue is untriaged.

yes.

> I also tried commenting on issues, to indicate that I've seen them,
> but
> didn't change the fix version or assignee since I did not have a firm
> target for it.... but this gets the same emails.

Set a fix version for where you would like these to be *looked at*
and put your comments stating what outstanding issues are missing what
is your concerns etc.

Assign it to others if you need info/input from them etc.

By setting the fix version to such version it will show up in queries
for those
looking at what needs to be considered/triaged in that version.

This is how i've been instructing/driving the jiras for all that I can
sensibly remember ;)