[jbosstools-dev] Proposed change to JBoss Central 4.40.0.Beta3-SNAPSHOT target platform: updated version of PMD & removal of duplicate content already in upstream TP

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 08:43:45 EDT 2014

> Any mention of "merging" content from Early Access TP worries me ;)

The idea is to remove IUs that are already in the JBT and JBT Central
TPs, so that Early Access can simply be the things not already in the
other ones.

As it stands, I was required to add a big pile of IUs to the earlyaccess
.target file just to get it to resolve... 100s of IUs later it still
wouldn't completely work unless you'd already installed the JBT TP first.

> What is the actual resulting diff here ? your p2diff shows zero
> differences so
> that is worrisome.

My diff shows 3 IUs changed - from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3. Please look again.

> trying to grok the PR changes but i'm honestly not following the actual
> change ;/

Have a look at the JIRA then. Or diff these:

https://github.com/nickboldt/jbosstools-discovery/blob/JBIDE-17560/jbtearlyaccesstarget/multiple/jbtearlyaccess.target
(new)
vs.
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-discovery/blob/4dd7b80add1e87485576592615b69116143c8362/jbtearlyaccesstarget/multiple/jbtearlyaccess-multiple.target
(old, with a large "transitive dependencies" section)

> What is the "merge" you want to do ? Earlyaccess should have *zero*
> overlap with the core TP and should not *add* new things to it to begin
> with so there must be something i'm not grokking here...?

Validation process has improved such that now we verify that the TP is
not just internally consistent, but that it provides ALL the upstream
transitive dependencies AND that it can be installed into Eclipse as an
update site.

These new validations require that more stuff be available in the target
site, and to achieve that, the .target needs to contain more IUs.

But rather than duplicating content, I adapted the JBTIS approach of
.target file merging, so we end up with a more complete and
self-contained set of target platform sites.

This is particularly important for the new EA site where the upstream
deps for the connectors may not exist already in JBDS (eg., Tern or
org.jboss.tools plugins on which Arquillian depends).

Because we can't just assume they're previously installed, we have to
include them and make sure the EA site works for both JBT and JBDS.
Hence, .target file merging.