[jbosstools-dev] An excursion into integration testing plugins with Arquillian

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 11:08:45 EDT 2014

>>> Might be of interest ...
>>>
>>> https://community.jboss.org/en/teiiddesigner/dev/blog/2014/06/23/unit-testing-an-eclipse-plugin-with-arquillian
>>>

>> thats cool - even though I was hoping it was actually using
>> arquillian to test eclipse (i.e. as an
>> alternative to eclipse test runner).
>>
>> May I ask why the code we have in our server adapter testing base
>> code was not sufficient for
>> starting jboss servers and test against it ?
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen
>
> Cos... I didn't know it was there ;-)

there is this mailing list called jbosstools-dev where you can ask how
we test our existing jboss server tooling :)

> I may have misunderstood mistria as well that the current JBT testing
> started servers with WTP?

They are. We could probably remove that but for now not had that need
since the plugins talking to the server
have already had the dependency on the server adapter/wtp anyway.

> didn't really want to introduce that element as well into the
> integration-testing. I wanted to
> confine it to:
> - Start JBoss Server with Teiid installed
> - Connect to Teiid using Teiid API from our Teiid client plugin
> - Deploy Teiid's own testing VDBs using our Teiid client plugin
> ... ...

So that is reason enough for it. If you don't need/want to test your
server adapter as part of this
then yeah you don't have a need for it and its really cool to get
arquillian to do it.

What worries me and what I couldn't immediately grok was why
ant/eclipserunner had to be involved in this ?

This is because you need to actually invoke arquillian before the
eclipse run ?

if it is then yeah - this is why I tease arquillian team to get an
eclipse friendly version of it
so all these hoops doesn't need to be jumped through.

I tried following a few of your links but they 404's (like
https://github.com/Teiid-Designer/komodo/blob/master/tests/org.komodo.eclipse.teiid-8.7.client.test/src/arquillian.xml)
would love to show Aslak the complexity required for this (which seems
unnecessary)