[jbosstools-dev] Rhino and custom type definitions

Angelo zerr angelo.zerr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:33:38 EDT 2014

Hi Victor!

In short answer, I have gaven up development with Rhino because its very
slowly and I had problem with OutOfMemory when JS files are too big.

> Hi Angelo!
>
> I'm trying to make it possible to use my cordovajs.js plug-in when Rhino
> is configured as Tern server, but with no luck.
> So, I have a couple of questions to you...
>
> Actually I'm even not able to see any proposals from existing plug-ins
> (like requirejs.js, that is placed in tern.server.rhino.internal.scripts.tern.plugin
> package of tern.server.rhino plug-in). Are there any special things that I
> should do in order to make it working? (In my test project's preferences I
> have enabled requirejs and my cordovajs in <Project>->Properties->Plugins
> Project Properties Page.)
>
> I don't see/am unable to open Tern Console when Rhino used as a server.
> There is no possibility to stop/restart server as well.

Tern console works today only with Node.js, but as you have seen, it's
possible to implement it.

> It looks like there is no ITernConsoleConnector object configured for
> Rhino server instance. Is this a result of some re-development that was
> focused in usage of NodeJS in favor of Rhino (I mean your work on
> "developping a "Tern Builder" which will parse JS files with Tern") or this
> works as expected?

No it's not the result of the Tern Builder. Before that Rhino doesn't work.
My idea about Tern Builder is to parse with incremental builder JS files. I
had no time to implement it-(

Is it possible to write such a ITernConsoleConnector for Rhino server? (I
> didn't dig into that code to much...)

Yes it's possible, but if we wish to support Rhino in Eclipse IDE, there
are a lot of work to do, like create a "Runtime Tern" to share tern js
files. Today those tern js (defs, plugin, etc) are stored into the tern
server node.js project.
We must create a new project "tern runtime" which will hosts thos tern js
files.

I think too it should be very cool to implement tern server with Java8
nashor js engine.

I would like to fix some bugs with angular.js tern plugin and works on
AlloyUI which is teh JS framework used by Liferay. See
https://github.com/angelozerr/tern.java/wiki/Tern-&-AlloyUI-support to see
screenshots and my idea to use it into the Liferay Portal (WebBrowser). I'm
working in this issue because Liferay IDE could be interested. More there
were people who will be interested, more tern.java can be improved (I hope
having some contributions like you do).

So today I have no time to support Rhino, but if you want to support it, I
will be very glad to help you. I think you should create several issues to
support it. I will help you for that, no problem.

Regards Angelo