[jbosstools-dev] Nodeclipse IDE (or components) in JBoss Tools?

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Tue May 20 06:35:29 EDT 2014

Hi Paul,

On 05/20/2014 12:09 PM, Paul Verest wrote:
> I suggest to lobby that Eclipse would recognize non-Eclipse.org
> projects under EPL license as valuable part of Eclipse eco-system
MarketPlace was done to fulfill this goal and it works pretty well. Some
non Eclipse.org project have been pretty successful thanks to
MarketPlace and MarketPlace client. I think those should thank the
Foundation for that.

> that Eclipse project committers should be aware of, give and take help.
> e.g. https://github.com/eclipse-color-theme/eclipse-color-theme
The issue with the multiplication of projects out of Eclipse.org is that
you end up with different process to contribute and don't have the
guarantee a contribution would be appreciated and considered. Being on
GitHub is not a proof of an open development process, it's "just" OSS
code. That's why it makes sense for contributors/consumers (like us) to
encourage projects to become official Eclipse projects. Eclipse
Foundation has set up rules that ensure a really open development
process and that guarantee that a project can't be locked, and that
encourage contributions over forks. It makes things safer.

> Something like open letter from Eclipse Foundation to Eclipse plugins
> authors.
That's probably a good idea.
Maybe the Foundation (or the community in general) should make it more
official that projects on GitHub/MarketPlace are welcome to become
official Eclipse projects and explain to authors that being an
Eclipse.org project is a sign of real openness and a generator of success.

But in any way, I can fully understand from the Foundation POV and from
our "consumer" POV, that there is and will always be a distinction
between Eclipse.org and non-Eclipse.org projects. The Foundation rules
are definitely something good, that make a difference.

> Please also help to connect to Red Hat China managers or marketing.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Red Hat office in China. Maybe Rob
(Stryker) can help.

> @Angelo Would this email get into jbosstools-dev list?
Yes, it's on. And this answer too. Check you CC list before sending mails ;)
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>