[jbosstools-dev] Nodeclipse IDE (or components) in JBoss Tools?

Paul Verest paul.verest at live.com
Thu May 22 05:57:22 EDT 2014

Hello Max & All

Answering inline.

> From: manderse at redhat.com
> To: paul.verest at live.com
> CC: angelo.zerr at gmail.com; mistria at redhat.com; jbosstools-dev at lists.jboss.org
> Subject: Re: [jbosstools-dev] Nodeclipse IDE (or components) in JBoss Tools?
> Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 11:01:50 +0200
>
> On 20 May 2014, at 12:09, Paul Verest wrote:
>
> > Hello All
> >
> > First the should be message from Eclipse to remind developers to have
> > Help pages (e.g. easily created with
> > http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/github-flavored-markdown-viewer-plugin)that
> > references to their project web site.
>
> Not following what you mean here ?

Some plugins are missing home page references.
It should be recommended by Eclipse to add one Help page with project introduction

One of way to easy add Help page is using GFMV
https://github.com/satyagraha/gfm_viewer/blob/master/plugin/src/site/markdown/adding-help-to-eclipse-plugin.md

As User I had experience several times before when I could not recall plugin name or find it.

> > I found that plugin developers sometimes event don't have marketplace
> > entries (and helped/pushed with about 6-8 )
>
> Yes that is a good thing overall. The problem is many plugins don't even
> do basic UI interaction well. i.e. litter the context menu
> with actions, not integrating with the existing eclipse infrastructure
> etc. it results in a very fragmented experience unfortunately ;/
>
> >> Should we consider putting some parts of it on Central ? or even in
> >> JBDS ?
> >> Should we try to lobby with some authors to move projects to
> >> Eclipse.org ?
> > Could discussion is to get started.
> > I suggest to lobby that Eclipse would recognize non-Eclipse.org
> > projects under EPL license as valuable part of Eclipse eco-systemthat
> > Eclipse project committers should be aware of, give and take help.e.g.
> > https://github.com/eclipse-color-theme/eclipse-color-theme
>
> I'm not following what you mean/expect here ? When have eclipse not seen
> non-eclipse.org projects as valuable ?

OK. I expressed myself not well.
What about
- have announces for plugin developers on main eclipse.org page
- have essential tutorials, links collected under one link, give list of generally helpful open-source project

In the case of  https://github.com/eclipse-color-theme/eclipse-color-theme
I dialog starting from any Eclipse leader would help,
as the project is in uncertain state because of what Eclipse 4 Editors APIs are or would be.

> Problem I have is that if it projects don't participate in eclipse
> release train nor want to honor eclipse API guidelines they become
> something that is really really hard to rely on. Thus we can't include
> everything just because it exists.

Yes, they are of varying quality.

> > Something like open letter from Eclipse Foundation to Eclipse plugins
> > authors.
>
> What should that say that is not already happening ?
>
> > By the way looking for (remote) speakers for Eclipse DemoCamp
> > Beijinghttps://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Luna_2014/Beijing
>
> You should do that in a separate mail thread instead of mingled in here.
> Becomes more visible that way.
>
> You can post on the community forums too if you prefer.
>
> > Please also help to connect to Red Hat China managers or marketing.
>
> Send me mail directly on what you are looking for and I can put you in
> contact.

Will do.