[jbosstools-dev] Question on data virtualization runtimes and where downloadRuntime support belongs

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 22:39:20 EDT 2015

Hey all:

So, astools has historically housed almost all the download-runtime code
for various jboss runtimes. This changed a bit, however, when karaf /
fuse / serviceworks came on the scene.  The FuseIDE code now provides a
home for their server bean loaders (things that accurately identify
local installs), their runtime detectors (to work with turning those
installs into IRuntime objects in eclipse), and their download runtimes
(to know where to fetch them / download them / install them).

Where does Data Virtualization / teiid fit in for this?  I'm not very
familiar with what teiid adds on to our server types. It seems they
don't add their own server types, so that would suggest I should put
their runtime detection code in with astools. However, if they require
any special / teiid-only property keys to be set when creating the
server, that would indicate they should handle the import and not me,
since I won't have access to their custom keys. This is important for
runtime detection, as I don't want to return a half-complete runtime /
server with missing flags that's unusable for teiid.

So the question is:  where should the code for recognizing local DV
installs, downloading DV runtimes, etc, live?  ASTools, or Teiid?

- Rob Stryker