[jbosstools-dev] Should we use @Ignore in non-runnable JUnit test classes, instead of <include> in pom?

Paul Richardson p.g.richardson at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 12:05:07 EST 2015

On 23/01/15 15:31, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2015, at 14:58, Paul Richardson wrote:
>
>> On 23/01/15 11:42, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>>>
>>> One drawback of not having testsuites is though that we loose the ability to easily run a
>>> group of tests from eclipse or maven.
>>>
>>> Anyone found a good way of doing that via junit ? (testng has groups but tycho
>>> surefire/junit does not support that afaik)
>>
>> Yes. Designer has had a test-aggregate plugin for all its junit tests for a while now. [1]
>>
>> Based on an idea from my last job, the TestDesignerTestGatherer[2] class is a junit 3 style
>> test suite.
>>
>> It essentially runs through all the bundles in the running platfrom, searching for (in this
>> case) AllTests classes then adds them to the suite. The suite is executed via junit and the
>> all the tests individually executed. This works in both Eclipse (using a single junit
>> launcher) and in maven (by making the plugin a test plugin and adding TestGatherer to an
>> AllTests suite class).
>
> I'm not following what this class helps do that surefire not already does ?
>
> How would this be used to group tests within the same test plugin into something I can run ?
>
> for me it looks like this one just picks up *all* test classes which is already possible today
> with junit launch to just have it run all tests found in a package or project ?

In addition to my previous email, while I think a little further ...

TestGatherer currently finds and matches classes with name 'AllTests' in the platform. This is
just a constant
that could be modified on a case by case basis. For example, it could be an argument set via the
JUnit test
launcher which matches a specific group of tests or even looks for an annotation inside classes.

A configuration class could be added to specify the tests that should be executed on a
bundle-by-bundle basis
I suppose. My point is that TestGatherer being a java class that finds tests dynamically can be
modified to
suit individual use-cases.

HTH

PGR