[jbosstools-dev] Microservices

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri May 8 03:32:30 EDT 2015

> As I'm following some discussions about microservices (which are more
> or less regular Jax-RS services in many cases), I'm wondering whether
> JBoss Tools could embrace the word "Microservices" in some ways, for
> example in wizards or archetypes.

I tend to think that using todays buzzwords are a bad way of configuring
your IDE UI.

> Would a "Microservices" category in the Import wizard, that would
> repeat most Jax-RS wizards be a good idea ?
> Or just prefixing all occurence of the "service" word with "(micro)" ?
> WDYT?

none of those does anything besides create a confusion imo.

For me its more relevant to make sure our tools continues to not have
lockins into specific systems where it can be avoided
(i.e. we use maven a lot of places, but most of our plugins does not
require it. fuse/switchyard are exceptions to this currently
and I believe it will hurt them in the long run)

Our server adapters is optimised for wildfly, but we also have a variant
called deploy only server that works great for any tech
that just need content uploaded to a remote place.

Our debugging and jmx monitoring should work with any java vm. No matter
if a micro service or a full blown app server.

Our wizards is optimised for WTP but we don't prevent users to use them
on projects that are non WTP (they might miss some features, but thats
life if you don't want to tell the IDE about your project runtime needs)

WTP's utility jar is going to be playing a vital role in "micro
services", they are the ones that should be deployable to spring boot,
wildfly-swarm etc. so
all our existing tooling should work with that (at least). If not - that
is a problem.

With that said - I think with the new central update having some
quickstarts with instructions on how to use our tools with micro service
runtimes would
be a great thing to have.

Showing the world that IDE tools are *NOT* tied to monolithic
architectures.