[jbosstools-dev] ACTION REQUIRED: Update target platform 4.50.0.Beta1-SNAPSHOT to Mars M7

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri May 8 04:02:24 EDT 2015

On 7 May 2015, at 21:25, Mickael Istria wrote:

> On 05/07/2015 08:32 PM, Alexey Kazakov wrote:
>>
>> The new TP includes the updated Sapphire v. 9.0.0.201505051659.
>> Sapphire was updated in M7 and this version is not compatible with
>> Sapphire v.9.0.0.201408261741 which was included in Mars TP before
>> (M1-M6)
>> Batch and Arquillian tools require Sapphire. It's not a big deal for
>> us to migrate Batch and Arquillian to new Sapphire API.
>> But the problem is that the new Sapphire (M7) has
>> *RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8*
> Too bad this wasn't spotted earlier. Is anyone following the Sapphire
> mailing-list or bugzilla component?

Sapphire announced it here:
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/890531/ back in January and
yes, really bad we did not catch that.

But we did monitor the release train but Sapphire did not put this
change until M7. Where it is IMO is too late as said over here
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1694326

But Konstantin from Sapphire seem to not care about that ;/

>> If we can't require Java 8 for Batch and Arquillian then we have to
>> switch to Sapphire 8.2 from 9.0 in our TP.
>> Sapphire 8.2 supports Mars but Mars update site includes Sapphire
>> 9.0. only.
>> How are we going to deal with that?
> Well, Java 7 has reached end-of-life a few days ago, so I would
> support the idea of requiring Java 8 for those components. If they are
> part of JBDS default package, then it means that JBDS will also
> require Java 8.
> If we want to keep Java 7, we can simply include only Sapphire 8.2 in
> the target-platform and keep Sapphire 9.0 out. But I guess Sapphire
> 8.2 and 9.0 cannot be installed simultaneously; can they?

Konstantin claims they can - as long as you don't include two colliding
features that requires them.

> If not, then we need to make sure no other project that is important
> to us and that we want to work together with JBoss Tools relies on
> newer Sapphire.
> So is anyone aware of some other project that requires Sapphire and
> that we'd like to keep compatible with?

I've raised question internally to see if any objections against raising
to Java 8 since Java 7 is EOL'ed now *and* it seems its usage is
declining faster than Java 6 did.