[jbosstools-dev] Intention to remove "Server Log View"

Robert Stryker stryker at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 23:05:28 EDT 2016

Hey all:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-22635

The Server Log View had a pretty complicated API, meant to look like the
Error Log View, but with some additional mechanisms for sorting the events
or providing icons for the various events.

In all honesty, it was poorly-conceived from the beginning. Anything that
should be logged there should really be logged in the error-log view
anyway, so other than that, it's only useful feature was more of a tracing
/ logging mechanism that would be less annoying to the user.

In fact, it's been found to have been used less often than it should be,
and used inconsistantly. As far as I can tell, no other plugins other than
AS Tools are using it, and some other server adapters have requested the
action be removed (since they're not using the API to log events, it's
basically useless to them).

Anyway, I think it'd make the most sense to remove it. I don't think it's
saveable really ;)

Any thoughts or objections?

- Rob