[jbosstools-dev] Question on where to set preferences for upstream plugins

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Sun May 1 13:12:11 EDT 2016

On 21 Apr 2016, at 16:50, Rob Stryker wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I was reviewing
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-base/pull/459/files
>
> It seems a functional patch in general

functional but broken ;)

> , but I sincerely doubt runtime.ui  is the proper place to go
> adjusting JDT UI preferences.
>
> Should be doing this in project releases, rather than product? As I
> understood it, we should only be customizing other project's settings
> in our product release - JBDS.

devstudio ;)

> If it was only to be done in product, isn't there a way to customize
> these preferences via a text file?

yes, look in jbdevstudio product for the .product and
plugin_customisation.ini.

The downside of this is that it does not work in JBoss Tools nor in most
BYOE scenarios.

> If we want to begin to do this in project instead, wouldn't it be
> better to have an isolated place where we can set arbitrary settings
> for upstream projects?

I don't see a sane nor right way for us to do this in jboss tools
instead. That way is basically what we do today via the devstudio
release.