[jbosstools-dev] FreeMarker plugin deprecation

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Wed Mar 7 11:33:29 EST 2018

Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 2:39:39 PM, Nick Boldt wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I don't believe there should be any legal challenges for you to
> take open source, EPL'd code from github [1] and after host it at
> the Apache Foundation under a new namespace.

Certainly that's legal (as far as you keep the original license next
to yours etc.), but I believe the ASF won't do that. Instead, *you*
are supposed to give the source code to the Apache Software
Foundation. So that's a difference to usual forking. (But see in
earlier mail quoted below.)

> Pretty sure that's how Open works, and how we've contributed
> numerous times to projects at the Eclipse Foundation. But just to be
> sure, I've cc:'d our legal eagle so he can let me know if my
> assumptions here are correct.
>
> Richard,
>
> Do you see any reason why we can't let Apache maintain the
> Freemarker eclipse plugins/features - which we deprecated and
> removed [2] from JBoss Tools and Devstudio - from this point forward?
>
> [1] https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-freemarker
> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-25736
>
> Daniel,
>
> Once you've had your discussions about whether ASF wants to accept
> this contribution, let me know and please forward me whatever
> paperwork you need filled out to support the transfer. Please also
> use reply-all when replying so everyone in this thread is copied.

OK, I have started the discussion over there.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany