[jbosstools-dev] FreeMarker plugin deprecation

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 10:54:27 EST 2018

Still seems weird that I have to GIVE you the code when you want to TAKE it
over and it's freely licensed for exactly this purpose... but anyway...

Do you mean this document [1] ?

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

If so, just let me know when your colleagues at ASF have decided they're OK
with taking the contribution, and have created the git repo for the pull
request. I can then submit the PR and the aforementioned document. Should
it be signed by me as the contributor, or Richard as our legal guy? Do you
need a PDF w/ an Actual Signature, or is a text file with text names
sufficient? Forgive these dumb questions but I've never contributed to
Apache before. :)

Nick

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Dekany <ddekany at freemail.hu> wrote:

> Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 5:46:34 PM, Mickael Istria wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > just want to raise that we don't need to move to apache - we can make
> anyone a contributor
> > on the jboss tools freemarker plugin that agreeds to the jboss CLA.
> > This situation is deeply confusing for JBoss Tools maintainers and
> > potential contributors and your proposal wouldn't help: we -as Red
> > Hat employees- ha've been asked to drop maintenance of
> > jbosstools-freemarker for business or strategical reasons, but we
> > keep it under jbosstools (~= Red Hat) organization. This gives the
> > impression to contributors that we're still owning and maintaining
> > this code. If we want to open this repo to new contributors,
> > incoming contributors would expect us to review PRs, maintain builds
> > and all that stuff we're exactly supposed to not do any more while
> > we stop maintaining. Moreover, some contributors may not like
> > contributing to JBoss or Red Hat branded projects because it's not a
> vendor-neutral ecosystem.
> > Keeping things like it isn't profitable to anyone and we generally
> > need to clarify what we mean by "not maintained" and how to properly
> > "give up" components like this. We're currently in a mid-ground
> > that's blocking all possible progress or decision.
> >
> > The big question in that case is whether we (Red Hat) is ready to
> > make the effort to "give" such almost abandoned code to Eclipse or
> > Apache Foundation (this involves effort to rebrand package and
> > artifacts, make standalone build, move code...)? That's something we
> > need to clarify before moving any further.
>
> I think you can just sign the Software Grant and Corporate Contributor
> License Agreement, make a PR on Github on the ASF repository prepared
> for the purpose, and the Apache FreeMarker committers will do the rest
> (replacing license headers, renaming packages, getting rid of improper
> dependencies, etc.). Now that's not an official statement from ASF,
> but I can ask ASF legal if needed.
>
> > If the answer is that Red Hat isn't willing to make that migration
> > effort but wouldn't mind anyone else doing it and would approve it
> > legally, let's just write it down very clearly in the README and
> > remove everything else that's not relevant any more. And we can make
> > a statement to Apache or Eclipse
>
> (Apache, surely not Eclipse in this concrete case. FreeMarker is owned
> by Apache.)
>
> > that we approve someone else moving this code.
> > If the answer is that Red Hat can support with manpower migration
> > of this code to someplace else, then it needs to be made more
> > official before people can work on this instead of other stuff. But
> > if we do that, it also means we need to make clear that we're moving
> > the code to better abandon it and let other owns it immediately, as
> [...]

Nick Boldt

Senior Software Engineer, RHCSA

IM: @nickboldt / @nboldt / http://nick.divbyzero.com
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
@ @redhatnews <https://twitter.com/redhatnews>      Red Hat
<https://www.facebook.com/RedHatInc>
<https://www.facebook.com/RedHatInc>

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” - Heraclitus