[jbosstools-dev] FreeMarker plugin deprecation

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Tue Mar 20 05:44:57 EDT 2018

Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 8:24:14 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Daniel Dekany <ddekany at freemail.hu> wrote:
> It can be the future, but it doesn't seem to be a short term solution,
>
> It's nowadays the solution with the better short term ROI. There are
> big chances that with the same amount of effort on FreeMarker LS and
> Eclipse IDE integration of the LS, you get better results faster
> than with trying to migrate code from JBoss Tools to Apache, from
> legal, releng and technical POV.
>
>> especially as my quick impression was that LSP4E is immature
>
> LSP4E is already used in production-grade Eclipse based tools, such
> as Red Hat Developers Studio or Spring Tools Suite and is the root
> for Eclipse aCute (C#) and Eclipse Corrosion (Rust). If you have any
> bug with it, feel free to report them to
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=lsp4e so they
> can be considered and hopefully fixed.
> If you used BlueSky, you probably got the 0.2.0 release of LSP4E
> installed. LSP4E is about to ship 0.6.0 so that can explain why you
> found issues.
[snip]

The FreeMarker plugin uses 0.6.0.201803121253. Otherwise, as far as
maturity goes, I was just naively assuming that it's immature
officially as well, but didn't meant to interfere with anyone. We will
see how the new FreeMarker plugin does anyway. Also, I plan to debug
into why is it behaving as it does, then I will know more.

As far as the old plugin is concerned, for a while we can get away
with a personal Github fork and a repo on Bintray. So maybe we will
give the new plugin a few months before deciding.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany