[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - BPMN in jbpm4

camunda do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jan 24 08:16:22 EST 2009

Hi.

Currently I port a sample process to jbpm4, so I play around with it a bit. I also prepare a blog entry for demonstrating it.

First of all: Nice looking Designer! Good job :-))

But I have some issues and questions with the BPMN used in jbpm 4:

Violation of Spec
- Multiple leaving flows in a activity with XOR semantic. This is not BPMN, BPMN has AND semantic but allows for conditions on the outgoing flows. The behaviour implemented makes sense if you know jPDL, but it is not correct BPMN. I think this is somehow problematic
- End which terminates Executiuon only. For this end the End-Event should be used, not the Termination-Event (which is only a signle circle). With the termination event BPMN specifies that the whole process instance is terminated.

Missing stuff
A lot of stuff is still missing: Attached events, Pools, Lanes, a lot of events (like message, compensating, ...).

The question here is: To what extend will the missing features be implemented? Is this one of the goals? Or not? I am not currently up to date here, maybe I had to leave Antwerp to soon :-/

Will spec-conformability be targeted? Or is BPMN more for nice looking diagrams and marketing?

Would be interessting to hear some oppinions and directions, because these are things people start asking me, and as giving BPMN trainings and working together with research on BPMN topics we (camunda) are in duty to know correct BPD's and not misusing BPMN as drawing tool ;-)

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend
Bernd

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4204519#4204519

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4204519