[jbpm-dev] Proposal for jBPM5 first release

Kris Verlaenen kverlaen at redhat.com
Sun May 30 21:04:21 EDT 2010

Maciej Swiderski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, that's really great that jBPM 5 is on its way to be
> started. This is really important to know because we can prepare some
> long term planning.
> There was number of different threads about jBPM5 features and I have
> to admit that they cover almost everything that is required for first
> release, to make it interesting for any customer. I hope you could
> come up with a long term road map as well to illustrate to the
> customer that it is going to be enhanced and will live quite some time
> (that I am sure of but sometime without hard facts it is not so easy
> to convince business people).
Yes, we're focusing on the first releases now (for obvious reasons ;)),
but we'll be defining a long-term roadmap as well, which will include
productization etc.

> In one of the threads there was discussion about web editor for
> process definitions and I have to say that from what I noticed so far,
> for business experts this is really important. Eclipse based tools are
> not of any interest for them, they are far to complex (as they used to
> say). Web based editors - this is what they want, especially with some
> repository capabilities and (what would be perfect) with collaboration
> capabilities where business experts can share and exchange ideas (and
> processes). What is really important as well about web process editor
> is to have "two way support", meaning that process developed in web
> editor can be consumed by eclipse based tool and the other way around
> without lost of information. This was something that was missing in
> current web editor (signavio) and eclipse plugin for jBPM 4.x.
Like I said in the previous mail, I hope that BPMN2 will be the answer
here, providing interoperability between different (possibly external)
components, even for round-tripping.  But we need to give the spec and
the tools a little more time to mature still I think.

> Another thing that could be quite useful is to have some kind of
> mechanism that will support compensation. What would be good to have
> is to provide compensation manager on process instance level that
> could invoke some stuff in case of rollback (unexpected errors on
> process execution). Process execution is within transaction boundaries
> but unfortunately not everything is (or can be done) in transactional
> manner. This does not have to be very sophisticated it is just to give
> some kind of listeners that could be used by process developers to
> take some actions on rollback, even if that will be just to send an
> email to administration personnel.
Do you see this as specific to one specific process, or just a
compensation mechanism for all processes executing on your engine (like,
if anything goes wrong, do this)?

> Ok, I think that's all. As mentioned before, most of the items were
> already addressed by others. Thanks for that, and hope the dialog will
> go on.
>
> Last but not least, I would like to take the chance to offer my help
> in development (and any other tasks you find me useful). So whenever
> you have complete plan and some issues to do, just let me know I will
> be on it ;)
That would be great, I bet we can find you plenty of tasks ;)  Drop me a
private email and maybe say what areas you are mostly interested in
(like are you more a core, web or eclipse guy), or if you have specific
ideas on what you want to do, and we'll see how we take it from there !

Kris