[jsr-314-open] [JSF 2.1 NEW] composite component namespace simplification

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:28:13 EST 2009

Just to clarify, the "components" directory is not required under resources.
The developer has the option of doing:

jcf:cc:acme

which resolves to

/resources/acme

Since cc stands for composite components, some people may see the
"components" directory as redundant (as we cited in earlier examples in the
thread). I'm just stating a fact for clarification.

-Dan

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Roger Kitain <Roger.Kitain at sun.com> wrote:

> "cc" is fine since it matches the EL expression (consistency).
> I also think "jsf" is fine especially since "jsf" is used in the core (f)
> and html (h)
> namespaces.
>
> -roger
>

> Jim Driscoll wrote:

>>> I like this approach. Of the two, part of me thinks the second might be
>>> the better choice, as it gives us a bit more flexibility to add things
>>> under the faces scheme, thus kind of grouping things together, but
>>> another part of me wonders if we'd ever want to do that, given the
>>> context of the discussion (YAGNI ;). However, it's only 6 characters (or
>>> 4 for "jsf:"), so I don't see the harm in the slightly longer proposal.
>>>

>> I would prefer jsf:composite:jim for components under resources/jim, and
>> jsf:composite:comp/jim for components under resources/comp/jim.  Two
>> characters might not seem like a lot, but why not use jsf instead of faces
>> if it signifies the same thing to users and is shorter?  (We already use
>> "jsf" in the Ajax library.)
>>
>> Further, in the interest of brevity, why say "composite"?  Why not match
>> the implicit EL object and just say "cc"?
>>
>> Thus:
>>
>> xmlns:jim="jsf:cc:jim"
>>
>> Isn't that just as clear to someone who already knows what #{cc} is?
>>
>> Concerned that it's too cryptic?  Look at the first part of that phrase.
>>  Anyone think that the XML standards guys should have called it xmlnamespace
>> instead of xmlns?
>>
>> Shorter is almost always better, especially for frequently typed
>> boilerplate.
>>
>> Jim

Registered Linux User #231597