[jsr-314-open] [xmldecl-696] suppressing XML declaration for MR1

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 11 18:30:13 EST 2009

Oh, THAT's what he meant.  He tried to describe the problem to me, but
our discussion got cut off.  I've even run into this with demos - it's
actually a pretty big deal, I think.

Fortunately, the declaration is optional, as I understand the XML standard.

As for "some browsers", let's just name it:  IE.  The XML declaration
triggers their "I don't care about your mime-type, I know better than
you" code.  Though it wouldn't be surprising if it triggered some
quirks-mode in other browsers.

Jim