[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] might as well face it, Facelets is XML

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Sun Dec 13 04:56:54 EST 2009

Hi Dan,

> I think he might have just been too lazy (or bored) to rip it out. The
> pass-through is a different argument from jsfc. I think jsfc is completely
> and utterly useless. I see no value in it. I do see the value in the
> pass-through for quick stuff. But even then, all that is being passed
> through is the xml and doctype declaration, and the CDATA, all which happen
> to be causing us issues with IE. (Remember, I'm not objecting to passing raw
> HTML tags straight through, that is why Facelets is so successful. I'm
> talking more about the document wrappers).

no, I don't think so. Tapestry is built completely around this idea,
so there is definitely people out there who think there is some value
in this - not that I personally think it makes sense if you start
using more sophisticated components. For the simple components, it has
some merits for a fairly large user-base (which is not the JSF
community).

That said, I would much rather have a nice IDE supported WYSIWYG
feature that works for all the component sets than this preview
support.

In any case, disabling this is not necessary for what you have in mind
- and I definitely support your suggestion. Just saying that we should
still leave the other option open as well, and we will need to do it
for backwards compatibility anyways.

regards,

Martin

--