[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] WITHDRAWN Proposal to support new semantic HTML5 tags

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 14 13:30:45 EST 2009

On 12/14/09 10:12 AM, Dan Allen wrote:

>     JD> So, given those problems, I withdraw the proposal.  Since these
>     problems
>     JD> occur in IE8, it looks like these tags may be as far as 5 years away
>     JD> from being usable.  Tragic.
>
> I'm not opposing the withdrawl, but I do want to say (on behalf of Molly
> Holzschlag) that there is a JavaScript library called HTML5 Now that is
> supposed to "upgrade" browsers to HTML 5 w/o them actually supporting
> it. I think this is the script:
> http://remysharp.com/2009/01/07/html5-enabling-script/ But there might
> be a newer one. Just FYI.

The updated version is the shiv at GoogleCode, referenced in my original
email.

It doesn't handle nesting, or innerHTML.  Nor is it clear that it ever
will - there's no known workaround.  I haven't tested it, but I've got
no reason to doubt John - if there's one guy who really understands
browser quirks, it's him.

So, the tags are effectively dead to us.

For custom written pages, sure.  But for general purpose support (like
inclusion into the standard tag library), then no - not usable...

Jim